Approved by Sterling IRB, IRB ID: 8351
Recruiting for a new contact lens study!
We are planning to conduct a research study within our practice to compare two different contact lenses that correct astigmatism and presbyopia (difficulties with close focusing): Biofinity Toric Multifocal and Ultra Multifocal for Astigmatism.
You may be eligible to participate in this new study.
What are we trying to learn?
We are aiming to find out which of these two lenses is easier to handle and also which one suits you the best. You will be asked to wear each lens for a 1-month period.
About the study
The study has several study visits over approximately a 3-4 month period:
- Visit 1 – Screening visit to determine eligibility and initial lens fit – 1.5 hours
- Visit 2 – Lens fitting, continued (for some, additional visits may be required) – 1.5 hour
- Visit 3 – Provide lens pair #1 (may be combined with Visit 2) – 0.5 hour
- Visit 4 – Review & optimize contact lens prescription, after 3-7 days – 0.5 hour
- Visit 5 – End of month follow-up visit – 1 hour
- Visit 6 – Provide lens pair #2 (may be combined with Visit 5) – 0.5 hour
- Visit 7 – Review & optimize contact lens prescription, after 3-7 days – 0.5 hour
- Visit 8 – End of month follow-up visit – 0.75 hour
- Visit 9 – Exit study – 0.25 hour
Total visit time commitment – estimated 7 hours
The visits will include standard clinical procedures that you might encounter when you attend a routine contact lens eye exam. There are some questionnaires to be completed between study visits, estimated maximum time commitment of 1 hour spread across the study period.
- Age ≥42 years, needing a prescription for astigmatism (at least -0.75 cylinder) and needing additional help for close focus (at least +0.75DS).
- Generally in good health.
- Currently wear some type of soft contact lens, but do not habitually wear either of the study contact lenses.
- Anticipate being able to wear the study lenses for at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
- Can be fit with the two study lens types (sphere +4 to -6, cylinder -0.75 to -1.75, ADD +0.75 to +2.50).
In appreciation of your time, you will receive at least $160 for completing all questionnaires and study visits. This may increase of you require additional lens fitting visits, prorated at $20 per hour. All study products will be provided.
If applicable, parking tokens will be provided.
How to participate
If you are interested in participating, please call for more details or to book your appointment at 416-703-2797. Please provide the study codename DINGO when you call. You will be provided with all relevant study information prior to study enrollment and you are under no obligation to participate. Deciding not to participate in this research will not affect the care you receive from us in the future.
This study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through STERLING IRB.
127 Spadina Ave., Toronto, ON M5V 2K8 416-703-2797